A whole lot of change…

Sorry for the delay in posts, but there has been yet more changes. Shortly after the last post was due to be publish, I had to move the workshop.  From the wonderful Oasthouse, in the country, to a modern industrial unit.   Whilst the unit is closer to home, more practical etc, it’s doesn’t have the character and history of the previous building. Oh, and it’s more costly 😦 Hey ho, onwards and upwards.

Anyway, since then work has continued steadily, in amongst other work.  The wheelhouse is progressing slowly. Whoever designed it needs shooting! (It was me) The roof has been really tricky, as so much is happening in a small amount of space. I keep telling myself that it WILL look superb when finished. The bottom half has been infilled with bead & butt boards, and looks really pleasing. The roof sections, are nearly ready for a MASSIVE glue up session very soon. I just want to ensure I have done everything to them that needs doing before they are permanently attached.  A few pictures below to show what’s been happening.

The work is underway…

This should have been posted a while back, in the heady days of summer (what summer)

 

Following our little trip away with www.canalvoyagers.com the work has now begun! 🙂 In the last few weeks we have constructed the forward sections of the main cabin sides, the base for the wheel house and now the wheelhouse itself is under construction. The following pictures are just a few to show that things ARE happening now 🙂

Following the sides. the next section to construct were “4 square posts, that will become supports and corner posts for the cabin when it’s fitted. This meant I had to go and buy some more timber, something I always enjoy! I went to my local timber yard looking for oak of big enough proportions, but sadly he didn’t have any. He did however have some lovely English Elm! I decided this would work very well indeed, so purchased more than enough for the current job!

Whilst I was there I spotted some wide 2” oak boards. When I say wide, I mean REALLY wide! the narrowest is over 4ft across! I was informed they came from a tree that was planted by Nelson to celebrate the battle of Trafalger in 1805! Whether this is true is up for some discussion, but it’s a fab tale regardless. Having counted the rings, the tree would be the right age, so who knows. I had no immediate use for the timber, although it will certainly all get used, but couldn’t leave such wonderful wood behind!

 

Anyway! Enough of the buying, it’s time to make something else.  With the sides made and put to on the stack of completed parts. It was time to start the wheelhouse.  This is by far the single most complicated section of the build.  There are lots of pieces, funny angles, and things to trip me up all the way through.

The way I designed the base means I can start from a flat surface and work up from there.  The lower cill section was first to be machined.  Followed by the uprights, and then the head section.  These were then all jointed together with mortice and tennon joints.  The bottom half of this will soon be infilled with oak bead and butt boards.  Above those will be an intermediate cill, with the windows above.

The design of the windows will be very similar to the old drop down railway carriage style, and they will all be opening. This makes a lot more work at this stage, but will be most worthwhile in the long run.

I will let you get on now, but will post another blog at the end of the week to show the progress.